What pin up girls and comics have in common....

Two page spreads in comic books smack you across the face, force you to take everything in at once, and if they're really fantastic, can bring forth a Keanu Reeves impersonation with an involuntary "whoa". I love these all consuming visuals, especially cause they are rare. (You'll see more two page ads than artwork.) This secret weapon, part of the writer / artist arsenal, is only used during the most deserving moments of wonderment. At least the most successful ones achieve this, the ones that feel necessary when you turn the page, knowing that it could not have been shown any other way.

So here is the first of many to come in a regular focus on two page spreads. I have quite  a few from memory's past, but the first ones to be shown will be from recent memory (the last two years.) Here Be Spoilers!!!


Giant Size Astonishing X-Men #1
Writer: Joss Whedon
Artist: (that dreamboat) John Cassaday


Giant Size Astonishing X-Men 1 from Comic Book Candy on Vimeo.

When I started this blog, I had hoped to update at least 3 times a week, but I had no idea that something else would come into my life at the same time, stealing many of my free hours. I started watching Buffy. So I thought it would be fitting for my first two page spread feature to be from the mind of Joss Whedon. Heck, even the cover for this issue is a wraparound! If you haven't read this series, regardless of your X-Men knowledge, please, do yourself a favor and get on it! Whedon and Cassaday took on the first 25 issues of this series, and finished up their run with this "Giant Size" special. You may not appreciate the two page spread in this issue without having read it, or even understand what it is you're looking at, but trust me. It was glorious.